I’m now living in Kyrgyzstan as a volunteer. People in Kyrgyzstan ask me about Japan or Japanese. Some questions are frequently asked.
I have replied to those questions at each moment without preparations. But I thought that I should assume them and prepare to answer them.
So I listed up questions that I’m frequently asked by Kyrgyzes.
- Where do you live in Japan. / Which part of Japan are you from?
- Is that city far from Tokyo (the capital of Japan)?
- Is that city close to Fukushima? (This question has been given after March 11th 2011.)
- How many is the population of Japan.
- Are there many Kyrgyzes in Japan?
- Are there mountains in Japan?
- How high is the highest mountain in Japan? (Height of Mt. Fuji is 3,776 meters.)
- All roads in Japan are paved, aren’t they?
- Japanese eat fishes a lot?
- Do Japanese eat muttons (or horsemeat)?
- What are national or popular foods in Japan?
- What is the religion of Japanse?
- How Buddhists (or Shintoists) worship?
- Are there many Muslims in Japan?
- Which religion do you belive in? (A personal question.)
- Are you married? (A personal question.)
- What is the average age of a marriage of Japanese?
- How much is the monthly income of Japanese?
- How much does it cost to go to Japan by airplane?
- What is the language that people speak in Japan?
- Are Japanese language and Korean language the same?
- Do you have alphabets in Japanese? Are they original?
- Are Japanese, Chinese and Korean letters simular?
- Japanese understand Chinese or Korean language, don’t you? (or “Can you read…?”)
Possibly in other countries also they are asked; I also ask foreigner these questions. Can you immediately answer questions about your own country?